Thursday, June 4, 2009

Snakes and tomatoes...

Yep... we're still hiking. Almost everyday when Jake wakes up from his afternoon nap he very loudly says... "DOT" to let us know that he's ready to go hiking and touch the dots on the trail. We've hiked back to the river a couple more times so Jake could throw rocks in the water and its tough to get him to leave. He loves to watch the splash when his rock hits the water. In the past couple of weeks we've also met several "friends" along the way. We've encountered 4 snakes (all non-venomous) on the trail so far this year including a 5 foot long black snake yesterday that nearly gave me a heart attack. I didn't see him until I was right upon him... yikes! He was trying to cross the trail and we happily got out of his way. We've also seen two really large black snakes in our neighborhood in the past week. I'm not a snake person but I refuse to let them keep me from hiking with my family so I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open.

DOOOOT!!!

I love to hike!

Lets go Daddy!

Splash!
Mama ... when will Daddy be finished mowing?

Hold still Circles and I'll brush your hair.

I see you Daddy.


We love to grow fresh veggies... especially tomatoes... but haven't had any luck since we moved into this house in 2001. There just isn't a good spot for a garden since we're in the woods. We tried a raised bed on the side of our house and we also tried containers on our back deck but neither one received enough sunlight to produce. This year we decided that we just had to have some homegrown tomatoes so we planted them in containers in front of our house. They are doing great! They are already loaded with blooms and one even has a little bitty tomato. We are so excited that it looks like we'll have yummy fresh homegrown tomatoes this year.

Mama... I can help take care of the tomatoes.

No comments: